20 Quotes For Getting Through Tough Times

[ 46 ] September 1, 2010 |

1. Tough times never last, but tough people do.  - Robert H Schuller

2. The difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how you use them. – Unknown

3. Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way. And don’t pray when it rains if you don’t pray when the sun shines.  - Leroy Satchel Paige

4. A problem is a chance for you to do your best. – Duke Ellington

5. I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders. – Jewish Proverb

6. If you don’t like something change it; if you can’t change it, change the way you think about it. – Mary Engelbreit

7. When things are bad, we take comfort in the thought that they could always get worse. And when they are, we find hope in the thought that things are so bad they have to get better. – Malcolm S Forbes

8. Prosperity is a great teacher; adversity is a greater. Possession pampers the mind; privation trains and strengthens it.  - William Hazlitt

9. Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I’ll show you someone who has overcome adversity. – Lou Holtz

10. I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death.  - Thomas Paine

11. If you aren’t in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?  - Unknown

12. The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. - Ulysses S. Grant

13. The bravest sight in the world is to see a great man struggling against adversity.  – Seneca

14. Adversity is a fact of life. It can’t be controlled. What we can control is how we react to it.  – Unknown

15. The true test of a person character is how they stand during test of adversity - Unknown

17. He knows not his own strength who hath not met adversity. – William Samuel Johnson

18. In times of great stress or adversity, it’s always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something positive. – Lee Iacocca

19. Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

20. One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity. – Albert Schweitzer

If you found this article interesting, please share it with someone on Twitter, Stumbleupon or leave a comment below.  Thank You!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tags: ,

Category: Confident & Manly

Comments (46)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. David Rees says:

Man, there are some gems in there.

Personally speaking, I’ve just come through a period of severe testing across all the various spheres of my life. These statements will live with me from here on in.

David (tough-man)

2. Midgley says:

Pretty sure #3 is a Richard Nixon quote and not Satchel Paige

3. Alvin says:

@ David. Thanks for the compliment and I’m excited to know that everything worked out for you end the end.

4. Alvin says:

@ Midgley. Thanks for feedback and for stopping by. Thanks again for pointing this out I to notice it but also notice a number of references pointing to Satchel Paige and some pointing to Nixon. Not to take anything from anyone but what an awesome quote.

5. The first one will always be the one like best. “Tough times never last, but tough people do.”

Thanks they are great.
    Debbie

6. Alvin says:

@ Debbie – I like that one to Debbie it’s straight to the point.

7. Candy says:

How about “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” by Winston Churchill. It’s my favorite.

8. larry p says:

slow & steady wins the race ,don’t put your finger where you won’t put your face

9. Niko says:

Some very interesting quotes I’ve never heard before — thanks Alvin. I’m a big quote fan myself because I feel they can teach a lot in such simple words.

We all have heard quotes that stick with us and really make us think. These quotes are life changing principals that if you apply in your life you will see major changes. The principals laid out here have been taught to everyone to takes an NSS Live Seminar and now you, the reader. So take a minute to read this post and listen to the words being said. They could change your life.

“What people say about you is a reflection of themselves” – Don Miguel Ruiz

Have you read any of Ruiz’s stuff?

10. Alvin says:

@ Niko, thanks for your feedback it’s the small and simple things that we remember most. I haven’t read much of Don Miguel Ruiz material but I just did a search and he’s a pretty interesting guy. Thanks for the lead I’ll have to read up on him.

11. I like the Publilius Syrus quote. Here’s couple more:

Adversity has the same effect on a man that severe training has on the pugilist: it reduces him to his fighting weight. ~ Josh Billings

Pressure is nothing more than the shadow of great opportunity. ~ Michael Johnson

12. Robin says:

My favourite is Winston Churchill’s, “When you’re going through hell, keep going.”

13. Kyle Webs says:

Great quotes! (:

14. Flaco says:

I’ve been lately through very hard times. My 15 year old sick mom just died and just know i’ve read something that motivated me just enough to make me stand up.

15. Ain says:

Inspiring quotes! I want 2 share my quote “Love got GPS so don’t go looking for love. Love will find you”.

16. shahu says:

nice quotes!!
    Thanks.

17. Craig says:

a very good list, thanks for sharing.
    Here is a quote that I think about on a daily basis, one that I use when I engage in my training,

“Only when the mind breaks the chains that hold the body back can true perfection be achieved”
    Sempai Craig

18. Stephanie says:

I was having a really bad day and then I stumbled upon this page and it really puts things into perspective.

19. illuminated1 says:

PRESSURE MAKES DIAMONDS – PATTON

20. kitty says:

My favourite from the list is:

Great uplifting article!

21. Nuti says:

I love your quotes, i got the link from my niece. I allways use them as a post comment they are super wonderful.

2 of my fav quotes, but dont ask who wrote them i got no idea. First is writen on the wall of a church 2 blocks from my house.the second i got in my remembering note book from over 35 years.
    1)Aspire to inspire beafor you expire.
    2)They hate me cus im not like them, but i love them cus they are not like me.
    This 2 are my verry fave quotes.
    Keep adding more they are verry helpeful to many..
    Thank you. Much love to you and yours.,,NUTI”

22. Nuti says:

BTW. sorry for my speling. My english it not so good stil learn to write in english.Thank you.

23. Terry Smyth says:

If it is to be….it is up to me.

24. canditooo says:

The quote “if you’re not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” is T.S. Eliot.

25. zahib says:

“The bravest sight in the world is to see a great man struggling against adversity”

I find that relevant all the time in my life.

26. Ledona says:

He (or she) knows not his (her) own strength if he or she has not met with adversity.

That about sums it up. :)

27. Shiva says:

You got great collection there, loved every one of them.

My fav from the list is this though.

28. Trevor says:

“16. The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from what the average man is. – Charles M Schwab”

This is my biggest struggle. I want to be not an average guy, but being an average guy, it’s hard to break free of that and become great.

29. I think I’ve used some of these! Inspiring, thanks for sharing.

30. K says:

My favorite quote isn’t on the list…
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Ghandi

31. Kelly says:

My favorite..”Those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”
    Dr.Suess

32. Mellisalamay says:

So this isn’t quite for getting through though times, but by far my most favorite and inspirational quote out there… “Hold fast to your dreams for without them, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.” -Langston Hughes. Basically stating that we all dream but whats the point if you don’t live them… or, what’s the point of having wings if you cant fly. This will soon be tattoo’d on my back, along with angel wings, symbolizing me flying, or living my dream.

This quote means a lot to me and really inspired me as a child growing up in foster care.

Another one of my favorite quotes is “Tell me my dreams are unrealistic, and ill tell you yours aren’t big enough.” not sure who that ones by though.

Hope you all enjoyed these. xoxo.

33. Bill says:

Trevor says:
    April 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm

“I want to be not an average guy, but being an average guy, it’s hard to break free of that and become great.”

Trevor. There is no such thing as “an average guy”. Step off the path. That’s all … just step off the path in any direction and you will immediately see a new horizon that those still on the path may suspect exists, but cannot see. Cut through the underbrush for just a little distance and you will begin to see that new horizon for yourself.

If you want things to change, you must change first. Even if you fear this change — and you will — you must make it. Your life is not written in stone … step off the path and never look back except in compassion or to assist another to begin their journey.

– Bill

34. Tim says:

@Kelly The real line is ‘Be who you are and say what you feel cause those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind’ – Dr Seuss right? I LOVE THAT TOO! Kept me going in high school!

35. Ishad Mirza says:

Nice Quotes To Get Thrugh Tough times..!!
    [in adverse circumstances]
    “Changing D Face Can Change Nothing..But Facing D Change Can Change Anything..”

36. Julieanne says:

My favorite quote is “This too, shall pass”.
    For some reason I find that very reassuring!
    But I LOVE all the quotes on this page. Just what I needed to read as I’m going through a hard time. But now….it seems more like a challenge than a hardship.

37. Brittany says:

love everyone of these qoutes, i am going through a tough time myself and seems like they picked me up in a way i have not been able to lately!

38. Tori says:

these quotes are awesome. this week has been absolutely terrible for me and a lot of the quotes are ones that I needed to hear.

39. Grady Pruitt says:

Great list of quotes! I like the Schwabb one. I want to be something more than the average man :D

40. Anon:) says:

Hello! I just wanted to say that this website is amazing, thankyou so much. I’ve been going through really tough times and am on the verge of giving up and decided to google ‘inspiring quotes’ and this pop up! Thankyou for motivating me, really, thankyou so much and I hope all of you out there, don’t give up no matter what! <3 God bless:)

41. LaShae says:

This is some good stuff… great topic to teach kids these days….

42. Anon says:

Im going through some really tough times right now, i think ill write these quotes down and carry it with me.

43. Ben Winters says:

Good stuff really enjoyed the article! It’s post like these that really keep me on track in my life, gotta love the quotes!

44. Isaac says:

These quotes really helped me think about how to act in certain situations and how how to respond to them. They really help you think about how the world tests you but they also give you ways to defeat those tests. I would suggest them to anyone who is having trouble getting through their day. If you got help from these quotes good, because then I can say that I’m not the only one who did! Thank you to whoever made this sight …. it really helps.

45. nikoya says:

changing the way we think about something we can’t change… SO TRUE. I’ve learned this after much, much pain. Very helpful quotes.

46. Going Green says:

This one is my favorite, it is all about taking risks…

“If you aren’t in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?”